Does the level of questions on the PGRE decreased as compared to the ones taken in 1986?

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

Dwij_Brahmbhatt2001

Does the level of questions on the PGRE decreased as compared to the ones taken in 1986?

Post by Dwij_Brahmbhatt2001 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:28 am

I have found out that the questions that are asked on the current GRE physics exam are nowhere near the level of the paper in 1986. Is this true? If yes, does doing the book "Conquering the Physics GRE" by Yoni Kahn enough to score a total of 900+ considering I am very used to problem-solving above the level of PGRE?

phygre123

Re: Does the level of questions on the PGRE decreased as compared to the ones taken in 1986?

Post by phygre123 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:56 am

del
Last edited by phygre123 on Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geekusprimus

Re: Does the level of questions on the PGRE decreased as compared to the ones taken in 1986?

Post by geekusprimus » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:52 am

You will be lucky if your paper reached to the destination unchanged, nonetheless it is impossible.
I don't think tampering with your exam is something you need to worry about. There are plenty of people from all over the world who have scored 900+ on the PGRE.
If yes, does doing the book "Conquering the Physics GRE" by Yoni Kahn enough to score a total of 900+ considering I am very used to problem-solving above the level of PGRE?
Yes, the Conquering the Physics GRE questions are typically much more difficult than what you see on the actual physics GRE. If you can nail the practice exams (under the same test-taking conditions, of course), you should be fine for the real thing. I also recommend looking into some of the old exams that ETS has released. I think they have the 2017 exam on their website, and you should be able to find the 2008 and a few earlier exams floating around the internet.