October 26th 2019 gre physics test

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

LaurenWoo

October 26th 2019 gre physics test

Post by LaurenWoo » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:45 am

Hey everyone. New to the forum. I am an international undergraduate student majoring in physics. I just took the PGRE today and I found it harder than my expectation. To be honest, I only prepared for this test for about one month, so I didn't get well trained in mechanical calculations. And in today's examination, I had to guess the answers to 5~7 such calculations due to the time issue. What's more, when the time ran out, I still had about 15 questions unanswered (so again, I randomly picked the answers). I am really upset...

Nishikata

Re: October 26th 2019 gre physics test

Post by Nishikata » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:46 am

Sorry to hear that. Wish you had found the forum sooner.

Unless you are very lucky, you will have to retake the test on April.
Be more prepared next time.

ES

Post by ES » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:10 am

For me, the test was kinda easy but I also had time issue and had to semi-randomize/guess 10 questions and and couldn't even mark the last 10 questions. I am really upset because I could have got very close to full score in this exam but now I can only hope for 900 :(

I hope we end up doing well at the end and get a good score :)

seeyounext

Post by seeyounext » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:33 am

Joke on you, I random nearly half of my test :D I have BS in Engineering but I have been working as Data engineer/scientist (associate level) for the past few years so my physics except for EM are very rusty. I studied for a couple of weeks (about 30mins/day :D ), went to the test this morning and came out depressed af :D

I have decent GRE (169Q162V) and GPA (3.5+) and good ranking (valedictorian actually) but this pGRE gonna hit me hard since I'm from a 3rd world country and my recommendation letters are not stellar, so perhaps bye American dream :D

LaurenWoo

Post by LaurenWoo » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:18 pm

seeyounext wrote:Joke on you, I random nearly half of my test :D I have BS in Engineering but I have been working as Data engineer/scientist (associate level) for the past few years so my physics except for EM are very rusty. I studied for a couple of weeks (about 30mins/day :D ), went to the test this morning and came out depressed af :D

I have decent GRE (169Q162V) and GPA (3.5+) and good ranking (valedictorian actually) but this pGRE gonna hit me hard since I'm from a 3rd world country and my recommendation letters are not stellar, so perhaps bye American dream :D
I have some good news. I consulted a friend who has just started his Ph.D. program in the University of Notre Dame, and he told me that PGRE is not that crucial in application, well,except for the Top 10, maybe). There are other important factors the committee will take into considerations:
40% - Professor Recommendations
30% - Statement of Purpose
20% - Grades and Coursework
10% - Subject GRE Scores

And don't worry about the recommenders' title. As I know, if the recommender knows you well and believes that you are the right person for academy, the recommendation will be very cogent.
----Your GRE scores and GPA are cool...I tried for three times, only to get 153Q164V...
Plus my GPA (3.39) is not impressive, so I am trying to improve my statement of purpose :|

LaurenWoo

Post by LaurenWoo » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:21 pm

ES wrote:For me, the test was kinda easy but I also had time issue and had to semi-randomize/guess 10 questions and and couldn't even mark the last 10 questions. I am really upset because I could have got very close to full score in this exam but now I can only hope for 900 :(

I hope we end up doing well at the end and get a good score :)
Thanks~I hope so~~^_^ I think you did well in this test.

LaurenWoo

Post by LaurenWoo » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:23 pm

Nishikata wrote:Sorry to hear that. Wish you had found the forum sooner.

Unless you are very lucky, you will have to retake the test on April.
Be more prepared next time.
Thanks, I will ( ; _ ; )

erik94

Post by erik94 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:57 pm

I found the test to be up scaling very quickly around the middle. That is, I have found the first 20/30 questions very (too much) easy, and all of sudden I got beaten hard from the 55th and beyond.
I also had time problem, but I guess this is fairly common so not too worried about it.

I hope to get a good (even if not stellar score), as I need it to counterbalance a terrible last semester in bachelor (but that I turned up in my master).
What do you guys think would be a good threshold score to decide wether to send it or not?

rjones21

Post by rjones21 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:47 pm

I thought that this one was easier than the other exams I have taken. Some of the mechanics problems were tricky though...

Captain Mushroom

Post by Captain Mushroom » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:02 pm

Looks like I am getting a raw score at bout 70(depending on luck)...Don't know about the scoring this time. :cry:

seeyounext

Post by seeyounext » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:29 pm

LaurenWoo wrote:
seeyounext wrote:Joke on you, I random nearly half of my test :D I have BS in Engineering but I have been working as Data engineer/scientist (associate level) for the past few years so my physics except for EM are very rusty. I studied for a couple of weeks (about 30mins/day :D ), went to the test this morning and came out depressed af :D

I have some good news. I consulted a friend who has just started his Ph.D. program in the University of Notre Dame, and he told me that PGRE is not that crucial in application, well,except for the Top 10, maybe). There are other important factors the committee will take into considerations:
40% - Professor Recommendations
30% - Statement of Purpose
20% - Grades and Coursework
10% - Subject GRE Scores

And don't worry about the recommenders' title. As I know, if the recommender knows you well and believes that you are the right person for academy, the recommendation will be very cogent.
----Your GRE scores and GPA are cool...I tried for three times, only to get 153Q164V...
Plus my GPA (3.39) is not impressive, so I am trying to improve my statement of purpose :|
That's encouraging to hear man, I find Magoosh a valuable source for GRE, I start from knowing nothing about GRE to get decent score for non-native speaker in only 4 weeks using Magoosh :D

LaurenWoo

Post by LaurenWoo » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:14 pm

erik94 wrote:I found the test to be up scaling very quickly around the middle. That is, I have found the first 20/30 questions very (too much) easy, and all of sudden I got beaten hard from the 55th and beyond.
I also had time problem, but I guess this is fairly common so not too worried about it.

I hope to get a good (even if not stellar score), as I need it to counterbalance a terrible last semester in bachelor (but that I turned up in my master).
What do you guys think would be a good threshold score to decide wether to send it or not?
I have that feeling too...In the second half of the test, I spent too much time on understanding the questions as well as calculations...
I will be happy if I get 800 :cry:

erik94

Post by erik94 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:56 am

Results should be out for the October 26th test (I got mine this morning - European time!)

rjones21

Post by rjones21 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:06 am

I didn't get an email yet, but my scores are up