Thoughts on September 14th pGRE

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

How hard did you feel it was?

Easier than practice/past exams
17%
Same as practice/past exams
50%
Harder than practice/past exams
17%
Not sure
17%

Total votes: 6

rjones21

Thoughts on September 14th pGRE

Post by rjones21 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:50 pm

Obviously, we shouldn't discuss problems here, but any qualitative thoughts on the test today?

I found the form of the test I took was much more difficult than the test I took this April, or any of the released pGRE tests dating back to 2001.

pankajb64

Re: Thoughts on September 14th pGRE

Post by pankajb64 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:23 pm

Funny. I actually found it a bit easier than April or the previous practice tests. It's weird there were so many questions that were either like high school math, or descriptive (e.g. xx theory can be best described as ..., etc). I really wonder what they're trying to assess via such questions, since this is starting to feel more like an aptitude test.

Just my thoughts though. Also in full disclosure, I did mostly practice on pre 2001 tests this time, so that might have made it feel easier

geekusprimus

Post by geekusprimus » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:44 pm

I'll split the difference here. I thought it felt about the same as the recent practice tests. I don't think I did as well on it as I did on the 2008 practice, but I feel a little better about it than I did with the 2017 practice test. I was surprised at the things that didn't show up more than by the things that did, to be honest.

rjones21

Post by rjones21 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:16 pm

pankajb64 wrote:Funny. I actually found it a bit easier than April or the previous practice tests. It's weird there were so many questions that were either like high school math, or descriptive (e.g. xx theory can be best described as ..., etc). I really wonder what they're trying to assess via such questions, since this is starting to feel more like an aptitude test.

Just my thoughts though. Also in full disclosure, I did mostly practice on pre 2001 tests this time, so that might have made it feel easier
If you look at the 2017 exam you might have a seizure as to how easy some of the questions are. I feel like I didn't get as many of the definition/no calculation type questions as I usually do. In my form, the high-energy/condensed matter facts were pretty tough (might be because I haven't taken any classes in either of those areas).