Inquiry about the feasibility of self-certificating the physics ability

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

Sitanliu

Inquiry about the feasibility of self-certificating the physics ability

Post by Sitanliu » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:35 pm

Hi I am an international student getting my bachelor's degree this year with computer science. I am 22 years old.
I intended to dive into biophysics academia in the future. But I do not have any physics courses on my transcript.
In the future graduate application, Can I demonstrate my interest and ability on physics by having the GRE physics like 90% or above and my self-documented course learning experience like Scott Young on MIT open course website? Because MIT teacher teaches better courses.
I am curious about your opinion~ Thanks for your time~

Nishikata

Re: Inquiry about the feasibility of self-certificating the physics ability

Post by Nishikata » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:28 am

You can demonstrate your aptitude in physics via pGRE, but your interest will probably need something more.
Self-documented course learning won't do. Even verified certificates from edx or coursera won't suffice because other non-interested candidates would still be able to get that.

Best way is to get involved in a short-term research project with a physics prof and get a recommendation letter.

Sitanliu

Re: Inquiry about the feasibility of self-certificating the physics ability

Post by Sitanliu » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:56 am

Nishikata wrote:You can demonstrate your aptitude in physics via pGRE, but your interest will probably need something more.
Self-documented course learning won't do. Even verified certificates from edx or coursera won't suffice because other non-interested candidates would still be able to get that.

Best way is to get involved in a short-term research project with a physics prof and get a recommendation letter.
Thank you for your answer. I understand it now.