Please be aware on this policy!!!! ETS is lying to you.

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

Nishikata

Re: Please be aware on this policy!!!! ETS is lying to you.

Post by Nishikata » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:16 am

Ah, that guy is applying for MIT. (the system's interface is a giveaway).

Well, as someone who took pGRE multiple times. I worried about this for a while, but got around the hassle somehow.

We have to order official score report to be sent by ETS which will be used to verify whatever numbers we claim.
The copy that we upload is considered unofficial, until verified with ETS's. Hence it is not a valid report on its own anyway.

With ScoreSelect being a legally available option, redacting any of your scores from the copy you upload is not an offense. It just looks weird if done badly. It would be an offense only if your school explicitly states that you must report all your attempted GRE scores. Most schools don't.

If there's anything that I suspect ETS might be lying to us about ScoreSelect, it is when I saw this.

https://www.physics.harvard.edu/academics/grad/faq#q38

I have taken the Physics GRE multiple times. Which score will be reviewed, the most recent one or the best one?

You can fill in whichever set of scores you'd prefer on the online application -- the Educational Testing Service will send the admissions committee the scores from all your tests as well.
Reading that literally, Harvard might have access to all your scores, possibly via the same score report format we have, regardless of whatever ScoreSelect option we selected. If that is the case, no point in hiding anything. But it indeed sucks to be treated that way by ETS.

jabennett2194

Post by jabennett2194 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:15 pm

Yes, MIT indeed. UBC and MIT are the only schools that I've applied to so far that require it.
I have no problem with them requiring it, I just wish ETS made me aware of that.

I do not agree with you that it would be ethical to edit your unofficial score report. If the school asks, just give it, not much we can do — I think it is unethical to edit it.

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:00 pm

jabennett2194 wrote:
I do not agree with you that it would be ethical to edit your unofficial score report. If the school asks, just give it, not much we can do — I think it is unethical to edit it.
I did not say it was ethical. I said it would not be an offense unless the school required scores from all attempts. They are different.

I wish we had a better option, though. Then we could be legal and ethical at the same time.