Help from test takers of 2017 and 2018

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

anupamraj0701

Help from test takers of 2017 and 2018

Post by anupamraj0701 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:33 am

Hey Everyone ! So I was going through the sample test released by PGRE and I see that the difficulty level of questions has decreased over time. I am guessing that 2017 test sample (GR1777) difficulty level will be closest to the one I am going to take this weekend ? Can anyone, who has taken the test last year or this year help me here.

I was actually using Conquering the Physics GRE book but I think it makes life tough. The level of review material is way too much advance compared to the level of questions from 2017 sample test. I don't want to invest my time reading things that do not matter too much for the test.

Kind Help :)

AHipp

Re: Help from test takers of 2017 and 2018

Post by AHipp » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:56 am

Hello,

I would agree that the 2017 practice exam is the closest in difficulty to current exams. However, I would say after that the practice exams in CtP are the next closest. While these exams may be slightly more difficult, the types of questions they ask are very similar to the ones you'll see on current exams.

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:22 am

You are under-prepared if you only use the 2017 practice test. I used CtP book and it was amazing review material. It is nowhere near “too advanced”, even still lacking a little here and there in my opinion. I took the pGRE three times in 2017. You need to invest time to learn as much as you can to take pGRE to avoid having to retake it like i did.

anupamraj0701

Post by anupamraj0701 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:12 am

Thank you so much.

GarethPhy

Post by GarethPhy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:25 pm

hello there, you said CtP book is a amazing book, so i am about to prepare the PGRE, could you please send me the e-book?

and my e-mail have sent to your private box

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:34 am

GarethPhy wrote:hello there, you said CtP book is a amazing book, so i am about to prepare the PGRE, could you please send me the e-book?

Hi, I read the book from my school library. The newest book can be purchased on amazon.
The e-book on the 2nd edition was available on the author's website for purchase. However, I think they removed it when they revamped the website for the 3rd edition launch.

Illegally, I think somebody has uploaded the pdf online. Out of respect for the authors, I cannot share the direct link but you will be able to find it by a simple google search.

GarethPhy

Post by GarethPhy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:48 am

Nishikata wrote:
GarethPhy wrote:hello there, you said CtP book is a amazing book, so i am about to prepare the PGRE, could you please send me the e-book?

Hi, I read the book from my school library. The newest book can be purchased on amazon.
The e-book on the 2nd edition was available on the author's website for purchase. However, I think they removed it when they revamped the website for the 3rd edition launch.

Illegally, I think somebody has uploaded the pdf online. Out of respect for the authors, I cannot share the direct link but you will be able to find it by a simple google search.

ok thank you for your advise. In order to search on the Internet, please tell me the full name of the CtP book, thank you very much !!
have a nice day !~~

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:03 am

GarethPhy wrote:
Nishikata wrote:

ok thank you for your advise. In order to search on the Internet, please tell me the full name of the CtP book, thank you very much !!
have a nice day !~~
See the original post of this thread. the title is there.

GarethPhy

Post by GarethPhy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:58 am

Nishikata wrote:

hello there, i really have tried on the Internet for several hours but still couldn't get a download of edition of the Conquering the Physics GRE, please give me a hand on the book, send me a e-book, i assure i just use it as a training material without spreading..plz plz plz!!

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:11 pm

GarethPhy wrote:
Nishikata wrote:

hello there, i really have tried on the Internet for several hours but still couldn't get a download of edition of the Conquering the Physics GRE, please give me a hand on the book, send me a e-book, i assure i just use it as a training material without spreading..plz plz plz!!
Duh, are you reading my post at all...
Let me clarify once again.

When i used the print book, i got it from my university library. I do not possess the e-book.

When i wrote my original reply, i googled the title and add pdf. I found that someone has uploaded it to a file-sharing site. It appeared in the first page of google search, so it was not hard to find. I am not signed up to the file-sharing site, so i can’t (and won’t) get the illegal download link and post it either. You should be able to find the site and signup if you wish.

What i can share:

The ebook is available legally in cambridge university press website. If your university subscribed to shibboleth or any of the participating accounts (check the link) you can use their institutional account to get access to the ebooks.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/co ... 325CA16A59

Or just buy the print book / ebook from Cambridge press or amazon. It costs 30 dollars / 17 dollars each. Pretty affordable for a physics book in my opinion, considering Kittel cost nearly hundred dollars and griffiths’ electrodynamics nearly 75 dollars.

GarethPhy

Post by GarethPhy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:04 pm

Nishikata wrote:
GarethPhy wrote:
Nishikata wrote:

Duh, are you reading my post at all...
Let me clarify once again.

When i used the print book, i got it from my university library. I do not possess the e-book.

When i wrote my original reply, i googled the title and add pdf. I found that someone has uploaded it to a file-sharing site. It appeared in the first page of google search, so it was not hard to find. I am not signed up to the file-sharing site, so i can’t (and won’t) get the illegal download link and post it either. You should be able to find the site and signup if you wish.

What i can share:

The ebook is available legally in cambridge university press website. If your university subscribed to shibboleth or any of the participating accounts (check the link) you can use their institutional account to get access to the ebooks.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/co ... 325CA16A59

Or just buy the print book / ebook from Cambridge press or amazon. It costs 30 dollars / 17 dollars each. Pretty affordable for a physics book in my opinion, considering Kittel cost nearly hundred dollars and griffiths’ electrodynamics nearly 75 dollars.

i have read what your typed with so many words.
First, not everywhere in my country like yours could access to google.com readily. i have to find many other ways to get connect to it, because there is a forbidden mechanism on the website in our country. it's very troublesome to find a VPN to attain that.

Secondly, you said you google it ending with pdf, now i have already done the same, you allude the third of the outcome right? but you'll find it's only be read online, cannot save as pdf except for register and enroll your credit card for their website. so what you said, not hard to find, is just a misunderstanding.

ok, i indeed didn't realize you lack of the e-book as well.that's fine. but i feel you are very mean even share the “Illegally direct link”, which is your quote but as mine is resource sharing website.

Finally, i have used very special way to crack the way of download, and now acquire the 3rd edition ie. the newest edition of the book, i can make full use of the book freely :) :) , of course, i won't charge for sharing others who want improve their physical ability, that's a really happy thing.

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:05 am

i have read what your typed with so many words.
First, not everywhere in my country like yours could access to google.com readily. i have to find many other ways to get connect to it, because there is a forbidden mechanism on the website in our country. it's very troublesome to find a VPN to attain that.

Secondly, you said you google it ending with pdf, now i have already done the same, you allude the third of the outcome right? but you'll find it's only be read online, cannot save as pdf except for register and enroll your credit card for their website. so what you said, not hard to find, is just a misunderstanding.
Well, congrats that you found it.

On the file-sharing site, i did mention you have to signup and register. This is normal for this kind of sites to protect themselves for a potential rival site.

What i said was the ebook was not hard to find. That was not wrong. It is in the first page of the outcome, after all..
Anyone can get access to the contents book by reading them online. That still serves the purpose. That you want to download it, that is additional convenience for you.

ok, i indeed didn't realize you lack of the e-book as well.that's fine. but i feel you are very mean even share the “Illegally direct link”, which is your quote but as mine is resource sharing website.

Finally, i have used very special way to crack the way of download, and now acquire the 3rd edition ie. the newest edition of the book, i can make full use of the book freely :) :) , of course, i won't charge for sharing others who want improve their physical ability, that's a really happy thing.

You see, i spent some time guiding you to get access to the book without violating the law on my own. Something that i had no obligation to do. Finally you get access to the book. Now you’re calling me mean. :| so much for being a helping hand, huh?

I could have ignored these posts, which i kinda regret now.

At this point in time, we certainly have different views on copyrights and illegal file sharing.
Now you got the book, cherish it. As you finish the book and the pGRE, maybe you will feel more grateful with the authors, and know that it is unfair to share an illegal pirated link of their book to one of their potential customers. They don’t write this book for free sharing, and everyone should respect that.