Does PGRE have value for non degree earners?

• If you want to know something about the GRE subject test in physics then chances are you will find it in here.
  • If something about the physics GRE it isn't already discussed in here then please put it in here.

predford

Does PGRE have value for non degree earners?

Post by predford » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:41 am

Like the title says. Does PGRE have any value to me if I were to take it but not pursue a degree? I am not pursuing a degree because I don't want to take out loans to take pre-calculus courses. Furthermore, the college near me don't even offer physics/math degrees because it's a technical college.

I am studying math and physics regardless if that exam is valuable or not because I want to not because I have to; also, I believe these subjects are valuable to me regardless my education level.

Nightzeit

Re: Does PGRE have value for non degree earners?

Post by Nightzeit » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:07 pm

Hi predford,

This is a hard question to answer without knowing more about you and your goals, and without knowing more about the test.

First, let me start by saying that the PGRE has either changed for this year or is going to soon (I forget which) and is shifting to an online only format with a reduced number of questions. Secondly, as a disclaimer, I have never taken the PGRE myself since I graduated during 2021 when it was first canceled due to the pandemic. What I do know is that this test has been show to statistically be a poor indicator of graduate school success, but this may (or may not) change with the new version of the test. So, your mileage may vary.

Now, onto my main point. The importance of the test will depend on your goals. Are you just taking it to access your knowledge after self-study? If so, I think using a released older version of the test would be a better choice since those are free. Are you planning to go to graduate school? If so, taking the PGRE may help boost your chances, and this is especially true if you are not a physics major. However, currently the test is not required by most graduate schools. It's hard to say if this will change in the future or not, as it has in the past. With this said, if you do want to pursue graduate school in physics in the future, I strongly reccomend that you try to obtain a degree in physics or a related field in the future.

Good luck with your studies of physics and math!